Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chipa

Chipa is a traditional cheese bread made in Paraguay. Last week was Semana Santa (Holy Week), and it is the time of the year when chipa is consumed the most. I like to make it about once a year just for fun. Here is how you make it:
Step one: get all of your ingredients ready. You will need Almidon de Mandioca(mandioc flour), corn flour, pork lard, eggs, cheese, milk, anis, salt.

Step two: make a well with the flour and fill with the other ingredients.

Step three: mix with your hands to form dough. I was told hand mixing makes it come out better than using a food processor.
You want to mix it well but not too much.

Step four: shape dough as desired. Traditional shape is in a ring.


Step five: Bake in cookie sheet in hot oven until bottom is brown
I'm thinking that this bread has to be fattening, but it sure tastes good!

3 comments:

  1. I love me some Chipa too! And yes, they are fattening! But what isn´t, that tastes good??!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking this is an awful lot of work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh but it is sooo worth it once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete