Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Yvapurũ

Remember the funky tree in my backyard? Well I found out it is officially called Jabuticaba. Its common name is Brazilian Grape Tree, and it's Guarani name is yvapurũ.

This is what I found out about this tree: It is a very unusual tree native to Brazil whose fruits are formed directly on the trunk and branches. The grape tasting fruit has a thin astringent purplish black skin, with a sweet white fleshy pulp and can be eaten fresh or be used to make jellies and drinks (plain juice or wine).

Up to four times a year small yellow-white flowers followed by the fruit dramatically emerge directly from the trunks, limbs and large branches.
Traditionally, the sun-dried skins have been used as a treatment for asthma, diarrhea, and gargled for chronic inflammation of the tonsils. So now we know!
(These pictures are from wikipedia and internet)

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! We call these Monkey grapes in Venezuela. I never knew they actually grew on the trunk and branches. How did I miss that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I´ve never seen anything like it! You should charge an entrance fee, to see your tree.... haha

    ReplyDelete